Thursday 26 March 2015

THE SLATE: Am ask to marry my late partner corpse.





Am so confused right now ..... many funny  thoughts are flying in and out of my head. I need help!!!

My girlfriend mum want me to marry her daughters corpse.

Lemme try to paint vivid picture on how whole thing happened.

Back in 2012, I went to the beach  at Labadi in Accra to watch people swimming and probably swim too.  The place was lively so I find a spot and sat down.

 While sitting and was also feeding my eyes, ... a young girl in her early 20's walk up to me and asked  " please what says your time'?  2:45  I replied

I thought after question she will go, but she did the opposite, she pull one of the chair on my table and sat next to me .

Am waiting for someone'' she said after sitting comfortably.

I ordered for a drink, but since a stranger was sitting with me, I order for her too.

Because of the female stranger, I lose my appetite to swim.

After few hours of waiting for the ghost that seem's not coming .... I engage her into a conversation ..... she told me her name (efua) , her tribe (fante), about  her mum, two siblings, and her late dad, with few minor things. For security reasons I told her little thing about me.

As we are discussing from she notice that am not a Ghanain, that am from Nigerian because of my intonation.

Before we left the spot, she collected my phone number.

Two days later, she called me, we gist and laugh, as I crack dry jokes.  Before she end the call, she ask me when will I  invite her to my house and I said "one day'.

After then we started calling each often....

 one sunday afternoon, she called and told me that she has dress up and want to come to my house ... lemme me give her her my address.

I gave my address,  she came to my house... just like a normal African girl, she tidy up my room wash my clothes. Inside me, I appreciated the kind gesture but didn't let out my feelings.

 After the chores, we started discussing, she told me she wasn't waiting for anyone the first day we met, that she like me then and love me now.... and will want us to date. I accepted to date her, but resisted every temptation to sleep with her that very day.

She invited me to see her mother, since I have accepted to date her.

We went to her house and met only her two siblings,  her mother later return from church holding a king james bible and a church flyer. To me she look like the churchy type.  Her daughter introduce me to her , she welcome me nicely and  was so happy.

Around 8 p.m I left Efua house and went home.

Lemme give a belief  intro about my self. Am in my late 20's, a Nigerian and also business man in Accra, who is capable of feeding himself  but not sure of others.

Efua my new girlfriend always come to my house  every weekend, to keep me company and do some few chores. In term of romance,  we only hug and never extend anything beyond that.

My journey with Efua start when she brought her bag to my place, with the consent of her mum.

Since her father was late and I am her boyfriend, I try to cater for her and occasionally send gift to her mother and her siblings. In order to secure her newly found man, Efua sometimes seduce and make sexual advance to me, but I usually turn her down.

Been a man I can't run from her demand forever.

As the day progresses, we started romancing and having sex, but strictly on condoms.

I took  Efua my girlfriend to hospital one saturday morning for us to know our hiv status.  When the result came out we were both negative.

The night of same day, when we are about to have sex I brought out condom and was about to insert it, she held my her hand and told me since our hiv statue is negative, we can have unprotected sex that she will take control pill. We had sex without condom that night.

That night marks the beginning of our sexcapade,we didn't care about using condoms anymore,  but she always take conceptive pills after each meeting.

One morning, Efua told me that she miss her period. We waited for another week and there was no sign.

Efua was pregnant but in other to have a medical report of it, I took her to hospital for a test, the doctor comfirm that she is pregnant after proper examination.

Efua wanted us to abort the baby, because she knew my financial statues. But I was against the decision of abortion.  I can't abort my first issue never!!! Since am not much capable, I know giving birth to the baby mean signing a contract with poverty.

But I don't care anyway.

A month later, I and Efua went to see her mum and also inform her about Efua's pregnancy. She was excited about the news and the new statues of becoming a grand mum. I was expecting her to say something about marriage but out of excitement I guess she forgot.

 In other not to make the mother of my unborn child not to look cheap, so I told Efua mum that I will organize my self and come back  to pay money on Efua's head.

I took Efua home and register her for antenatal care in a private hospital.

We went to hospital when Efua labour became serious. Next I  called her mum and she came few hours later.

While we are waiting in the visitors room ,The doctor  sent for us into his consulting room, after speaking many parables, he told us that they manage to save the baby life, but the mother didn't make it.

Efua's mum scream,  and started crying uncontrollably as I console her and also try to hide my tears. When she manage to get hold her self ... she went straight to the delivery room, took my baby and left.

I went to see the lifeless body of my woman been covered with blue bed sheet.

I stay back in the hospital to make arrangement with the doctor on the bills and aslo  to deposit the Body in mortuary.

I left the hospital feeling depress.

On getting home, i called Efua mun to ask her  about the next step of action to take, she told me that I must marry her daughters dead corpse before arrangement for the burial will commence.

According to her, that is the custom of fante tribe in Ghana. That if a woman stay with man without man marrying her,  when she is dead the man must marry her by force, before she will be buried.

Before she could say anything further, I cut the call and switched of my phone.

Africa!!!! She didn't say anything  about how to raise fund to pay the bills, she is just interested in me marrying her dead daughter. This is the woman I thought that was a Christian.

Till now, I didn't believe that the culture of marrying a dead corpse was still in existence until this very incident that happen to me.

Am stucked because she is with my baby, if not I will relocate to another place and start a new life.



No comments:

Post a Comment